There are many hams throughout the Rocky Mountain Division who deserve to be recognized for their selfless contributions towards the betterment of our ham community. We would like honor them, with your help, and the following awards are offered to do just that:
Rocky Mountain Division Ham of the Year Award
The award is offered to recognize one of our deserving hams who has been an active participant of the ham community and who has contributed greatly to their ham community for the betterment of all of ham radio. Nominees must be over the age of 18.
Rocky Mountain Division Young Ham of the Year Award
This award is offered to recognize one of our deserving hams, age 18 and under, who has been an active participant of the ham community and who has contributed greatly to their ham community for the betterment of all of ham radio.
Rocky Mountain Division Technical Achievement Award
This award is offered to recognize a ham who has provided technical contributions for the betterment of our ham radio community. Some examples may include developing an operating mode, ham-related software application, electronic device for use in the ham community, publication of a technical effort in a ham publication, etc.
Recipients will receive a handsome plaque suitable for hanging in their shack.
Official Nomination Form
- Nominees for all awards must be members of ARRL (within the Rocky Mountain Division) for at least a full year prior to the date of nomination. The Rocky Mountain Division is composed of the Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming sections.
- Nominees of the Rocky Mountain Division Ham of the Year Award must be over the age of 18.
- Nominees of the Rocky Mountain Division Young Ham of the Year Award must be age 18 or younger not later than the award nomination deadline to be eligible.
- Elected ARRL officials are not eligible for nomination.
- Fill out the official nominating form completely.
- You are required to supply documentation in support of your nominee’s qualifications. The more documentation you supply, the easier it will be for our judges to reach a decision.
- Awards will be announced and presented at the Rocky Mountain Division Convention immediately following the close of nominations. If a recipient is unable to attend the Convention their plaque will be shipped to them.
- The nomination deadline is April 1 of each year. Nominations and supporting documentation must be emailed or postmarked no later than April 1 to allow sufficient time for judging and the ordering of plaques. (Refer to last page of nomination form for addresses)
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Who are the Judges?
The Division awards judging panel consists of the Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming section managers along with one additional ARRL member residing in each of those sections who are appointed by their respective Section Manager. In the event of a tie for any particular award, the Division Vice-Director shall provide the tie-breaking vote.
Past Award Recipients
- Ham of the Year: Darryl Hazelgren K7UT (2008), Roger Kehr N3AOQ (2009), Shirley Larsen AD7HL (2011), Bob Sterner KBØBS (2012), Bret Mills WX7Y (2013), Ed James KA8JMW (2014), George Weber KAØBSA (2015), (2016)
- Young Ham of the Year: Phillip Shaw KE5LZX (2008), Anna Veal WØANT (2011), Austin Shaller KDØFAA (2012), Leonor Morrow AE5UF (2013), James Edwards AB7XT (2014), Devin Conn KDØYZO (2015), Skyler Fennell KDØWHB (2016)
- Technical Achievement Award: Clint Turner KA7OEI (2008), David Hassall WA5DJJ (2012), Joe Ostrowski KI5FJ (2013), Alan Applegate KØBG (2014), Jim Andrews KH6HTV (2015), Skyler Fennell KDØWHB (2016)